Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2008

It was seven months ago today.

That's when I got the news. My mother had passed away. It was a great shock to me. She was one of the healthiest people that I knew - until she had the stroke 70 days before she died. When I was growing up, I don't remember her going to the doctor. The only time I remember her going to the hospital was to give birth to my sister and for an appendectomy. She ate healthy she was in good shape, and she was thin - perfect for her age and height. In her 40's, she swam, did yoga, and tap danced with her friend. When she turned 50, she started playing tennis. She played tennis until a couple of years ago. When she drove someplace, she never tried to get the closest parking spot because she was able to walk just fine.

So when I got the phone call from her neighbor saying that there was something wrong with her and the paramedics were taking her to the hospital, I was very surprised. I was able to talk to her on the phone and she said - as always - "I'm fine". I wanted to believe her. I eventually found out that she had been on high blood pressure medication for a while. The doctor took her off of it because she didn't like the way she felt and he thought that she didn't need it anymore.

I imagine it was the stress of being my father's caregiver for so many years that took a toll on her health. My father had Alzheimer's and had been moved to a nursing home a few months before my mother had the stroke. She didn't want him to leave the house. My mother was willing to take care of him 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, just to have him with her.

I had a hard time dealing with her death. I kept distracting myself, mostly by watching TV when I wasn't working. After a couple of months I searched for something a little more healthy. I wanted to do something that was a stretch for me - things I had never done or thought I would enjoy.

I went to a meditation class. I learned some tools that helped me when the feelings became over bearing. Then I learned to knit by reading books and looking online for information on knitting. I joined a knitting group. That was all very therapeutic, too.

Then I took a writing class. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I hated to write when I was in school, but this class was fun. I was sorry when it ended. And then I decided to start this blog.

Suggested Stress-Relieving Activities for Caretakers:
  • Swimming
  • Yoga
  • Meditation
  • Dancing
  • Walking
  • Tennis
  • Dining with friends
  • Knitting
  • Arts and Crafts Projects
  • Writing
  • Photography